Family Photo - St. Simons Island

Family Photo - St. Simons Island

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Why should anyone go hungry?

As I sit breastfeeding my 2 month-old baby on our sofa, warm under a blanket, I am struck with a thought. Why should anyone go hungry? This child, nuzzled to my chest, is getting all that she really needs to survive. She doesn't have to pay for it. She shouldn't have to. I think of children across the world with bloated bellies, starving because they can't get a simple meal. Starving. The grace of God placed this baby in my arms. His grace has given her food.

When a basic human need is food, how did we end-up in a position where people must PAY for it? Shouldn't we all get food? Yes, produce must be farmed in order for it to grow, but what about those who struggle and farm where nothing can grow? Think about your dinner tonight. I don't mean to sound like your mother, but think about the children starving in the world when you eat your Super-Sized Value Meal. How did we get so lucky? How did they get so unfortunate?

No comments: